LEONA™ – PA66 (polyamide 66)
LEONA™ (polyamide 66 or PA66) is an engineering plastic superior in various key properties. It is widely used as a metal replacement for automotive components. Polyamide 66 is one of the most important engineering plastics in the world due to its strength, heat-, oil, and abrasion resistance, and workability.
Asahi Kasei is always capable of independently supplying the market. Our compounding technologies allow for global quality, and our special polymer technologies make the material itself special.
Properties of LEONA™
- High structural strength
- Good impact / toughness
- Excellent surface quality
- Oil and chemical resistance
- Heat and chlorine resistance
Applications of LEONA™
- Automotive(cylinder head covers, oil pan, radiator tanks, cooling piles, engine mounts, torque rods, chain guides, bush, gears, exterior fuel cap, exterior mirror bases, rear grip, fender stays, roof rails, head lamp brackets, inner mirror stays, air vent fins, knocking sensor housings, HVAC vanes, turbo ducts, turbo cooling pipes, intercooler tanks, thermos valves and oil pumps)
- Electrical, Electronic and Water appliances
Know more about LEONA™
CAE (Computer Aided Engineering)
We have learned a lot over the course of years working alongside and within the automotive industry, and our new technologies are a direct result of these insights. CAE is one of these key technologies, which has allowed us, in cooperation with our partners, to develop light weight vehicles by replacing various metal parts.
TENAC™ – POM (polyacetal)
TENAC™ (polyacetal or POM) is a well-balanced engineering plastic featuring superior mechanical properties such as strength and rigidity, as well as excellent friction and wear characteristics, dimensional stability and oil/solvent resistance.
Due to its low friction and excellent dimensional stability, it is particularly suitable for precision parts and performance engineering components such as gears or door systems.
TENAC™ homopolymer features excellent strength, stiffness and creep resistance. TENAC™ copolymer features an excellent oil / solvent resistance. Its metallic and low-VOC grades, ZM series, meet OEM’s low emission specifications for vehicle interiors, and colorful components can be designed and manufactured without spray painting process.
Properties of TENAC™
- Strength and stiffness
- Creep resistance
- Fatigue resistance
- Friction, abrasion and wear characteristics
- Dimensional stability
- Resistance to oils and organic solvents
- Weatherability resistance
- Low VOC emission
Applications of TENAC™
- Automotive industry (inner door handles, seat adjusters, seat belt push buttons)
- Electrical and electronics industry
- Manufacturing industry (gears)
- Home appliances (gears, rollers)
Know more about TENAC™
XYRON™ – mPPE (modified polyphenylene ether)
XYRON™ (modified polyphenylene ether or mPPE) is an engineering plastic with unique properties due to various possible alloy combinations of PPE with polystyrene (PS), polyamide (PA), polypropylene (PP), polyphenylene sulfide (PPS) or other polymeric materials.
XYRON™ PS/PPE features excellent dimensional stability, electrical properties and is suitable for PV junction boxes and connectors, contributing to downsizing.
XYRON™ PA/PPE has high heat resistance and features flowability characteristics suitable for automotive relay boxes.
XYRON™ PP/PPE has a low density and also electrolyte solvent resistance. This feature makes it suitable for lightweight automotive battery parts.
Properties of XYRON™
- Use of Halogen-free flame retardants (UL94 V-0 to HB)
- Outstanding heat resistance range (80 – 170 C)
- Low density
- Excellent dimensional stability – low mold shrinkage
- Low water absorption
- High resistance to acids and alkalis
- Excellent electrical properties
Applications of XYRON™
- Automotive industry (relay block, structural parts of lithium-ion batteries)
- Energy industry (photovoltaic junction box, connectors)
- Other industries (water-related applications)
Know more about XYRON™
Solutions for Lightweight & Safe Automotive Li-Ion Battery (LIB)
Thermylene™ – polypropylene compounds
Thermylene™ represents Asahi Kasei’s family of specialty chemically coupled glass reinforced polypropylene developed by Asahi Kasei Plastics North America, Inc. When advanced chemical coupling technology is applied to glass fiber reinforced polypropylene, significant improvements are seen across a number of key physical attributes. The enhanced properties of these polymers yield an extremely attractive cost/performance balance when compared to traditional engineering thermoplastics.
- Cutting-Edge Technology - 4 Global Technical Centers
- Full Technical Support – from Design to Development
- Locally Produced – as per Asahi Kasei Global Standards
- Overall Cost Saving – Weight Savings + Process Cost Savings
- Ease of Processing and Regrind – Moisture issues
- Might/Can be used in same tool as Engineering Plastics
- Higher Shelf Life/Storage – No Moisture Uptake
Properties of Thermylene™
- High strength or modulus
- High flow for thin wall
- Improved haptics
- Materials wits low-odor & emissions that meet VDA 270 or 275
- And, most importantly – aesthetics – when and where you need them.
Applications of Thermylene™
Thermylene™ has been developed by use of optimal additive technology. Its high strength and stiffness contribute to weight reduction, cost saving and heat resistance of automotive components including interior, exterior and under hood.
Automotive Interior – Driving light weighting further
Structural components continue to push the limits of polypropylene, and Thermylene™ has been optimized for your challenge.
- HVAC Ducts, Vanes & Blower Wheels
- Overhead Systems, Structures
- Meter Cluster
- Assist Grip Handles
- Door Handle, Housing
- Door Modules, Window Regulator Housings
- IP Support Structure
- Load Floors
- Speaker Grills
- Accelerator, Clutch Pedals
- Console Brackets & Shifter Base
- Seat Backs
Automotive Exterior – Engineered for environmental performance
Its performance on automotive exteriors is tuned to deliver extended UV resistance, strength and aesthetics. All the performances, none of the weight.
- Headlamp Housing, Brackets
- Windshield & Components
- Wind Deflector
- Sunroof Frame
- Antenna Housing, Roof Rails
- Rear Wiper Cover
- Fuel Filler Parts
- Door Handle Bracket
- Mirror Shells, Structures, Sails
Automotive Under Hood – Endurance redefined
Engine compartments frequently give plastics their toughest performance challenges and Thermylene has been specified in this area for over 20 years. Our PP compounds have been extensively tested to deliver the strength, modulus, chemical resistance, LTHA performance along with creep and fatigue resistance. Replacing PA6, PBT and long glass PP compounds has never been this easy.
- Engine Cover
- Coolant Overflow Bottle
- Cowl and Cover
- Fuse/Bus Box
- Air Cleaner Box
- Intake Manifold
- Carbon Canister
- Headlamp Housing, Brackets
- Windshield Washer Bottle
- Fan Shroud & Blades
- Active Grill Shutters, Actuators
- Radiator Support Brackets
- Battery Tray
- Front End Module
Know more about Thermylene™
Auto Expo 2020
Asahi Kasei exhibited at “Auto Expo 2020 – Components” in New Delhi. Our latest technologies and products including LEONA™, TENAC™, XYRON™ and Thermylene™ were displayed with the concept car AKXY.